Effective January 1, 2016
Information that we may collect
To create an account and use the Services, we need to collect certain information from you. The information that we collect varies based on your use of the Services, and may include:
- Your name, email address, telephone number, mailing address, and country of residence
- Your log in and password information
- Information regarding your activity on the Site and use of the Services, including your IP address and the device or browser you use when interacting with the Site
- Information regarding any transactions you make through the Site and Services
- Information that you submit as a campaign creator, backer, and general user of the Services, including but not limited to the details of a campaign, updates, comments or messages to other users of the Services
- Information that you send to us when you contact us with a question, idea, comment, suggestion, etc.
Information that is private
The following information will remain private and will not be publicly displayed on the Site or revealed to other users in any way:
- Your credit card information and any other payment information that you provide
- Your phone number
- Your log in and password details
- Your IP address
- Any communications that you send to us, for example, when you ask for support or send us your questions, ideas, comments, suggestions, etc. by email or through the contact us form
We will not provide your personal information to any third party provider except when it is absolutely necessary, for example our payment processors need your payment information to process transactions on our Site, and consequently this information will be processed through our payment providers using industry-leading privacy protection technology.
In certain circumstances, we reserve the right to disclose personal information if we believe that doing so is reasonably necessary to prevent abuse, fraud, or other destructive activities on our Site. Further, we reserve this right if necessary to protect our legal rights or to comply with the law and law enforcement.
Information that is shared when you back a campaign
When you back a campaign, the campaign creator will receive your name, your email address, the amount you contributed, and the reward you selected (if applicable).
Campaign creators will never see or receive your credit card information or any other personal payment information when using the Services. This information is private and is processed through our payment provider using industry-leading technology to ensure best in class security for each and every contribution that you make to a campaign. There should be no reason to provide your payment information to a campaign creator directly. If you are asked to do this, please do not do so, and contact us to make us aware of this request.
If a campaign that you backed is funded, the campaign creator may reach out to you by email requesting information, for example, the campaign creator may request your mailing address, T-shirt size, color preference, etc. in order to fulfill your reward. The campaign creator should only be requesting information related to your reward, and the information that you provide should only be used (by the campaign creator) to fulfill your reward.
Information that is public
When you sign up with Fortua, you provide your name and email address. When you create a campaign, back a campaign, post updates, comments or messages etc. on Fortua, your name will be visible publicly to users of the Services.
When backing a campaign, if you prefer, you can choose to make your name and your contribution amount anonymous so that it is not visible to other users of the Services.
Campaign creators must use their real first and last names and they cannot choose to be anonymous. Campaign creators’ names will be publicly displayed on the campaigns that they launch on Fortua.
How we may use your information
We may use your information to:
- Identify you when you log in to the Services
- Enable us to administer your account and to provide you with the Services
- Send you information that we think you may find useful or which you have requested from us
- Evaluate use of the Services in order to improve the Services for our users
- Protect our platform and our community, and to protect our legal rights or to comply with the law and law enforcement
Cookies are small pieces of information which are issued to your computer when you visit a website.
Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but, if you prefer, you may change your browser to turn off (block) cookies or to notify you each time a cookie is set. By blocking cookies, you may not be able to take full advantage of the Services but the Site and Services will still function for you.
We take securing your information and protecting your privacy seriously
- Your credit card and payment information will be kept secure – this information is private and is processed through our payment provider using industry-leading privacy protection technology
- We will not sell your information or data
Other things to know about your information
You may log in and update your account information with us at any time.